Friday, October 28, 2005

More Reasons For The Love Of Rome

This article just went up about an hour ago on CNN.com. It shows even more reasons why I would take the Roman Empire over the current US of A. I live in a country where a majority of people are arrogant enough to believe that they know how the universe (and man) came to be because a BOOK TOLD THEM SO.

The sheer gall this takes never ceases to amaze me. "I know what I know, never mind the facts!" You know, ignorance I can forgive. But willful ignorance is criminal, and people should be kneecapped for it. And then beaten with sticks. Big sticks. Really big sticks. Maybe stabbed a few times for good measure. Say, is drawing and quartering illegal in the US?

See, in the Roman Empire, everybody got to believe whatever they wanted from a religious perspective (gotta love that REALLY old-time religion), but if the natural philosophers came up with some nifty proof of something, THE PEOPLE BELIEVED THEM!

That's one of the the few problems I see with the egalitarianism of the United States' "Great Experiment". Every opinion is considered to have equal validity with every other opinion. What horse shit.

Say, the next time your back hurts, why don't you just shuffle on down to that crazy guy that lives in your town (because every town has a crazy guy, along with a village idiot) and ask him to ask the aliens to fix it for you? What, you don't think so? Why not? His opinion is just as good as yours! Heck, that crazy guy gets to vote in every election! So his ideas are just as relevant as yours!

Now, see, I believe the crazy guy has a right to have his opinion. I even believe the crazy guy has a right to try to convince others that his opinion is valid. But I don't think the crazy guy should get to teach his "Aliens fix sore backs" theory in science classes, 'cause the last time I checked, ain't no aliens fixing my achin' back, dammit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

____________

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never broke a chain or freed a human soul..." -- Mark Twain

____________

Fire does not wait for the sun to be hot,

Nor the wind for the moon, to be cool.

-- the Zenrin Kushu