Thursday, April 27, 2006

Striking A Minor Blow For Feminism

My blogging co-conspirator Philoman and his wife had a beautiful little baby girl back in February. Earlier tonight, he and I were talking about his bundle of joy, and being the worrier than Philoman is, he said that he’s already wondering what she’s going to have to contend with boy-wise. I immediately responded, “What you’re really saying when you talk about boys is that you’re worried that you won’t teach her to how to make good decision and take care of herself, aren’t you?”

He looked puzzled for moment, and then seemed to get what I was saying, and agreed.

He had fallen into that old double-standard trap of assuming that boys would be the sole aggressors and that his little girl would be some sort of passive participant. By asking him that pointed question, I was trying to turn that assumption on its ear, and imply that if he raises her right, she’ll make good decisions about what kinds of positions she puts herself into, and that if she makes a mistake, she’ll know to kick the bastard in the balls and leave elegantly.

I know it's never that simple in real life, but hey, if we don't strive for perfection, we'll never improve at all.

I gotta say, I feel pretty good about that particular pointed question.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ranson said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

A woman who can keep men interested while sharpening a six-inch blade is going to have no problems at all.

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

____________

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never broke a chain or freed a human soul..." -- Mark Twain

____________

Fire does not wait for the sun to be hot,

Nor the wind for the moon, to be cool.

-- the Zenrin Kushu