Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Torchwood Season 2 Finale

Wow! I finally found the time to watch the Torchwood season 2 finale, and I gotta say that I'm impressed. It's a rare show that's willing to kill off a main character, and even then it's usually precipitated by the actor wanting to leave (think Tasha Yar here).

But not Russell T. Davies! Oh no, that rat bastard killed off not one but two main characters. And did it with style, baby. That's what I like about Davies, and especially Torchwood. He's always been willing to jerk you around, but its always got a purpose behind it. He plays fair with his audience. If a character has to die, that character dies. No ifs, ands or buts. It's brutal, in a way, but it works.

Torchwood's a very character-driven show, and I won't deny the fact that at the end of the finale, I was crying right along with Aradia. Oddly enough, its the shows that can hit me like that that I like the most. Battlestar Galactica is another one that jerks me around like that emotionally. It makes me care. Which is why I've been so loyal.

I did a little digging around after I watched the finale, and found out some things that didn't surprise me in the least. Things like the fact that Torchwood has been nominated for a Hugo, and even beat out the show it was spun off from, Doctor Who, for an award or two. Like I said, it doesn't surprise me. In all honesty, it's a better show than it's "parent". Especially if the Season 3 opener is any indication of what's in store for us from the good Doctor. That show stank to the rafters, and had plot holes big enough to throw an elephant through.

Anywho, here's a little something fun I found on the BBC America website. Enjoy.

Which Torchwood Member Are You?

For the record, I came out as Owen. I can see that. I've always wanted to be King of the Weevils!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

____________

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never broke a chain or freed a human soul..." -- Mark Twain

____________

Fire does not wait for the sun to be hot,

Nor the wind for the moon, to be cool.

-- the Zenrin Kushu