Thursday, July 28, 2005

Observations in Futility

Look, I know I'm not the first to say this. It's nothing new. It's not even surprising. It shouldn't have to be said. But it does. Here goes.

Conservatives really believe what they say.

I know. I know. It's hard to understand how a conservative can stand around, looking smug, patting him/herself on the back about how "enlightened" they are because they don't live in a world of racial segregation or that they have no problem with women having the vote. And yes, I do realize that that's not how they really think. But my goodness. How blind can you be when you try to say that "What's best for the children!" is one man, one woman, their kids, when history shows no such thing. There are a plethora of models out there, and no single one is right for every occasion. Study history! And when I say history, I don't mean a 2000 year old book written by a bunch of guys with an agenda. I mean actual scholarly works.

But, they really do. They think that it's okay to racial profile Arabs, because it's Arabs that are bombing the US and it's allies. (Never mind the Unibomber and Eric Rudolph. They don't count as terrorists because they're homegrown, I guess.) They think it's okay to discriminate against someone with a different sexual orientation than they have. They think that we should just ignore the excesses of our current government because, in some mystical way, the current president is "a good man". How is he a good man? He's a bigot, a hypocrite and a liar. I know politicians have a reputation as these things, but surely there's some integrity to be found somewhere in our political system. I realize that the rise to power involves compromises. The very nature of ruling a country as disparate as the United States will give rise to such compromises. But this SOB doesn't even CARE that he's showing what a jackass he is. I remember when the conservatives railed against Slick Willie for dishonoring the office. I can't see where the Shrub has done anything to build that honor back up. If anything, he's made the office of President of the United States into even more of a joke than it ever was. The Pres. doesn't make these decisions, his advisors do. I realize that a President has to have advisors that make decisions. But JFK actually made some decisions on his own. Ronald Reagan actually made some decisions. Hell, Bill Clinton actually made some decisions. The Shrub just sits there like a stunned ox if someone catches him out with an unfiltered, unsanitized (i.e. unexpected) question.

He's a figurehead. Nothing more. Nothing less. But that's okay, because he's a "good man" somehow.

The question I have is this: Why don't conservatives realize that the march of personal freedom can't be held back? Look at the general history of our species and you will see a march towards greater and greater personal freedom. That's just not going to stop. And if it hasn't killed us off yet, then it's probably not going to anytime soon. But then, scholarship is kind of hard when you have your head shoved so far up your ass that you truly think these ridiculous conservative propaganda bullshit flies.

I know the liberals have a few problems, too, but come on, compared to the modern crop of extremist conservatives, US liberals are downright mainstream centrist. This subject just makes me tired, thinking about it.

Oh well, futile observations or not, it makes me feel better to put them down here for you to see.

Think clearly and good night.
Coralius

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

____________

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never broke a chain or freed a human soul..." -- Mark Twain

____________

Fire does not wait for the sun to be hot,

Nor the wind for the moon, to be cool.

-- the Zenrin Kushu